Cà phê trứng is a popular Vietnamese coffee drink made using egg yolks, sugar, condensed milk, and robusta coffee beans. Thought to have originated in Hanoi, today Vietnamese egg coffee is enjoyed around the globe. Here is our recipe for how to make Vietnamese Egg Coffee at home.
Prep time: 5
Cook time: 10
Total time: 15
- 1 cup Vietnamese Coffee (see our guide for how to make this using a Phin filter)
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon of Rum (optional)
- Cocoa Powder (optional)
- Separate your egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Place the egg yolks in a mixing bowl.
- Add condensed milk, sugar, and vanilla extract to the egg yolks.
- Before mixing, brew your coffee and place it in a hot water bath.
- Use a hand mixer or a mini electric whisk to beat the egg mixture for 2-5 minutes until the egg mixture has a creamy, foam-like consistency.
- (Optional) Add rum to the egg foam mixture and mix gently.
- Pour the egg foam on top of the coffee, allowing the mixture to float.
- (Optional) Sprinkle cocoa powder over the egg foam.